ali songang

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 7 January 2011

Reviews: "Somewhere" and "Blue Valentine"

Posted on 10:19 by anderson
Talk about opposite ends of the opinion spectrum. This week I reviewed Derek Cianfrance's "Blue Valentine" (3 1/2 stars), an intense look at the disintegration of a marriage, and "Somewhere" (1 star), Sofia Coppola's blank stare at a privileged movie star (Stephen Dorff) hanging out in the same room as his perfectly pleasant daughter (Elle Fanning).


I relished "Blue Valentine," though wasn't surprised in the least to see that the Union-Tribune's two "citizen critics" (regular folks who share their opinions alongside mine) absolutely hated it. The relationship between Michelle Williams and Ryan Gosling's characters isn't easy to watch, and you don't entirely like how they behave either. But real relationships aren't always as lovable as a Jennifer Aniston rom-com and I can see how a feature length sit-down with the truth about love's failings could inspire a strong negative reaction for some people. As for me, I thrive on films that are able to portray some truths about the human experience--even if you don't exactly like what you see.

Unfortunately for me, I had to sit through "Somewhere" twice-- first when I got the screener in November to see if it was worthy of Best of 2010 consideration (wrote off that idea in the first 10 minutes), and again this month when I decided to review it. Now I think I deserve some sort of hazard pay, but at least Elle Fanning (Dakota's little sister) is a pleasure to watch-- even if she's reduced to a wisp of character.

This weekend, I'm hitting the Gaslamp theater to revel in the craziness of Dogtooth. Hope to see you all there!
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in reviews, Union-Tribune | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Teenage Filmmakers, Latino Film and Monopoly? You Bet!
    I'm happy to say that I have three LOCAL film-related stories in today's Union-Tribune. San Diego may be just a short drive away fro...
  • Wrapping up SXSW
    I'm writing from 30,000 feet as I make my way home from SXSW and attempt to get my head back in the game of regular life.  While reading...
  • "Win Win" interview, review (3 stars); Source Code (2 1/2 stars)
    The last two weeks have been jampacked with press tours and I'm heading out the door for yet another, this time with Morgan Spurlock, di...
  • My Own Personal Summer Blockbuster
    While I'm sure there's plenty to say -- good or bad -- about Baz Luhrmann's glitzy 3-D version of "The Great Gatsby," ...
  • For Your Consideration: My 2013 Oscar Ballot
    After a case of early-onset Oscar fatigue , I was surprised to find myself rather interested in the race while processing my prediction...
  • Reviews: "Somewhere" and "Blue Valentine"
    Talk about opposite ends of the opinion spectrum. This week I reviewed Derek Cianfrance's " Blue Valentine " (3 1/2 stars), an...
  • "Evil Dead's" Bruce Campbell, SXSW Interview
    I sat down with Bruce Campbell the day after the SXSW premiere of Evil Dead , which he produced along with his good friends and ...
  • Reviews: The Last Lions (4 stars); Of Gods & Men (4 stars)
    Movies can seem rather trivial when compared to the disaster in Japan, but I'm relieved to say I've been in communication with my de...
  • On Second Thought: "Life of Pi"
    I saw "Life of Pi" in October, several weeks before it was released, in preparation for a phone interview with its director, Ang L...
  • Stewart's Shades of Gray
    When Jon Stewart takes a vacation, the news of the world gets a little harder to take. I'm not one of those people who rely on The Daily...

Categories

  • Academy Awards
  • Ang Lee
  • animals
  • animation
  • Anne Heche
  • awards
  • Batman
  • books
  • Bradley Cooper
  • celebrity crush
  • Chris Evans
  • Colin Farrell
  • Comic-Con
  • complaining
  • critics
  • Daily Show
  • David O. Russell
  • documentaries
  • Ed Helms
  • Elizabeth Olsen
  • Emma Stone
  • fanboys
  • Feedback
  • film criticsm
  • film festivals
  • Fox News
  • holidays
  • Hollywood
  • horror
  • Industry
  • interviews
  • Ira Glass
  • J.J. Abrams
  • Jake Gyllenhaal
  • James Franco
  • January Jones
  • Jennifer Aniston
  • Jennifer Lawrence
  • Joe Wright
  • John C Reilly
  • John Sayles
  • Liam Neeson
  • marketing
  • Me
  • media
  • Michael Fassbender
  • Mike Birbiglia
  • Morgan Spurlock
  • movie studio
  • movie theaters
  • movies
  • Music
  • Netflix
  • Off the Clock
  • On Second Thought
  • Oscars
  • Pixar
  • podcasts
  • politics
  • reviews
  • romantic comedy
  • Ryan Gosling
  • San Diego
  • Scorsese
  • screenings
  • SDFCS
  • Sean Durkin
  • seth rogen
  • Steven Spielberg
  • SXSW
  • Terrence Malick
  • This American Life
  • Thora Birch
  • Tom McCarthy
  • TV
  • UCTV
  • Union-Tribune
  • Weinsteins
  • Wikipedia
  • women in film
  • Woody Allen
  • YouTube

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (7)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2012 (10)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ▼  2011 (35)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (6)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ▼  January (2)
      • Review: The Green Hornet (1/2 star)
      • Reviews: "Somewhere" and "Blue Valentine"
  • ►  2010 (12)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (5)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

anderson
View my complete profile