ali songang

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Friday, 22 April 2011

The Greatest Movie Ever Sold: Review (2 1/2 stars), Interview with Morgan Spurlock

Posted on 07:57 by anderson
I've never been one for approaching celebrities I encounter "in the wild." I mean, really --what could I possibly say to them that would make me any different than some other slobbering fan? "I like your movies." Duh. "You were really good in X." Double duh.

When it comes to interviewing them, it's not even a question. We're both there to do a job. Get in, ask your questions, get your answers, get on with your day.

But when it came time for me to interview filmmaker Morgan Spurlock about his new documentary "POM Wonderful Presents: The Greatest Movie Ever Sold," I threw my point-and-shoot camera in my purse alongside my notepad and had no problem asking for a snapshot of the two of us post-interview.

Why? Well, of course I'm a fan. How can you not be? He's charming, clever, and willing to challenge mainstream thinking. I loved "Super Size Me" but was an even bigger fan of his TV series "30 Days." If this was my only motivation, I'd still keep my mouth shut and go about my business asking questions and trying to get him to say something, anything, he hasn't already said in the countless interviews he's done over the last month.

The reason I happily packed my camera and captured this poolside snapshot? The logo-covered suit of course. He's a walking billboard--and an extremely enthusiastic one at that--and what kind of billboard asks you to respect its privacy?

Here's my interview with Spurlock about his very meta experiment in making a documentary about marketing and advertising by funding his entire film with marketing and advertising. And then find out what I thought the film in my review, out today.

And by all means, go out and enjoy an ice cold glass of anti-oxidant rich POM Wonderful, would ya?




Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to Facebook
Posted in celebrity crush, interviews, Morgan Spurlock, reviews | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Teenage Filmmakers, Latino Film and Monopoly? You Bet!
    I'm happy to say that I have three LOCAL film-related stories in today's Union-Tribune. San Diego may be just a short drive away fro...
  • Wrapping up SXSW
    I'm writing from 30,000 feet as I make my way home from SXSW and attempt to get my head back in the game of regular life.  While reading...
  • "Win Win" interview, review (3 stars); Source Code (2 1/2 stars)
    The last two weeks have been jampacked with press tours and I'm heading out the door for yet another, this time with Morgan Spurlock, di...
  • My Own Personal Summer Blockbuster
    While I'm sure there's plenty to say -- good or bad -- about Baz Luhrmann's glitzy 3-D version of "The Great Gatsby," ...
  • For Your Consideration: My 2013 Oscar Ballot
    After a case of early-onset Oscar fatigue , I was surprised to find myself rather interested in the race while processing my prediction...
  • Reviews: "Somewhere" and "Blue Valentine"
    Talk about opposite ends of the opinion spectrum. This week I reviewed Derek Cianfrance's " Blue Valentine " (3 1/2 stars), an...
  • "Evil Dead's" Bruce Campbell, SXSW Interview
    I sat down with Bruce Campbell the day after the SXSW premiere of Evil Dead , which he produced along with his good friends and ...
  • Reviews: The Last Lions (4 stars); Of Gods & Men (4 stars)
    Movies can seem rather trivial when compared to the disaster in Japan, but I'm relieved to say I've been in communication with my de...
  • On Second Thought: "Life of Pi"
    I saw "Life of Pi" in October, several weeks before it was released, in preparation for a phone interview with its director, Ang L...
  • Stewart's Shades of Gray
    When Jon Stewart takes a vacation, the news of the world gets a little harder to take. I'm not one of those people who rely on The Daily...

Categories

  • Academy Awards
  • Ang Lee
  • animals
  • animation
  • Anne Heche
  • awards
  • Batman
  • books
  • Bradley Cooper
  • celebrity crush
  • Chris Evans
  • Colin Farrell
  • Comic-Con
  • complaining
  • critics
  • Daily Show
  • David O. Russell
  • documentaries
  • Ed Helms
  • Elizabeth Olsen
  • Emma Stone
  • fanboys
  • Feedback
  • film criticsm
  • film festivals
  • Fox News
  • holidays
  • Hollywood
  • horror
  • Industry
  • interviews
  • Ira Glass
  • J.J. Abrams
  • Jake Gyllenhaal
  • James Franco
  • January Jones
  • Jennifer Aniston
  • Jennifer Lawrence
  • Joe Wright
  • John C Reilly
  • John Sayles
  • Liam Neeson
  • marketing
  • Me
  • media
  • Michael Fassbender
  • Mike Birbiglia
  • Morgan Spurlock
  • movie studio
  • movie theaters
  • movies
  • Music
  • Netflix
  • Off the Clock
  • On Second Thought
  • Oscars
  • Pixar
  • podcasts
  • politics
  • reviews
  • romantic comedy
  • Ryan Gosling
  • San Diego
  • Scorsese
  • screenings
  • SDFCS
  • Sean Durkin
  • seth rogen
  • Steven Spielberg
  • SXSW
  • Terrence Malick
  • This American Life
  • Thora Birch
  • Tom McCarthy
  • TV
  • UCTV
  • Union-Tribune
  • Weinsteins
  • Wikipedia
  • women in film
  • Woody Allen
  • YouTube

Blog Archive

  • ►  2013 (7)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  April (1)
    • ►  March (2)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ►  2012 (10)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  July (1)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (1)
  • ▼  2011 (35)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (1)
    • ▼  April (6)
      • How I witnessed TV history for minimum wage
      • Put the DVD down, and your hands up!
      • The Greatest Movie Ever Sold: Review (2 1/2 stars)...
      • "Scream 4" - No Charge
      • "Hanna": Review (3 stars) and Interview with Direc...
      • "Win Win" interview, review (3 stars); Source Code...
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (5)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2010 (12)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  November (2)
    • ►  October (1)
    • ►  September (5)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

anderson
View my complete profile